Moving house: Who do I need to tell?

Couple moving house

Who do I need to warn when I move house?

When moving house, there are certain bits of paperwork that have to be taken care of. From notifying friends and family to telling your employer, the Post Office and the DVLA you’re relocating, your ‘to do’ list can feel never ending.

Another thing you’ll need to do when moving house is let your energy supplier know that you’re leaving. Here, we’re taking a closer look at who you need to notify when moving house, when to tell your energy supplier that you’re leaving and how to find the best deal on gas and electricity at your new address.

How to leave your old supplier

If you’ve decided to switch to a different supplier when you move, you’ll need to call your existing gas and electricity company and tell them that you’re leaving. This should be done at least 48 hours before you move. However, in some cases, you’ll need to provide as much as 30 days notice, so make sure that you check the small print of your contract before you cancel.

If you have a fixed rate deal and your contract period is yet to expire, you may have to pay an exit fee for each fuel when you leave your supplier. The amount that energy companies charge customers for breaking their contract varies, but in general, you’ll pay between £20 and £50 per fuel.

Make sure that you take a meter reading on the day that you move. This will help your old supplier generate an accurate bill for your usage and ensure you’re not overcharged.

How to find a new supplier

Whether you’re happy with your old supplier or not, it’s always a good idea to compare the latest deals and tariffs when you move to ensure you’re getting the best deal. The easiest way to do this is to use our Switch Plan. Our impartial comparison service will look at all available gas and electricity rates to help you find the supplier that’s right for you.

Using our Switch Plan will take all the hassle out of switching. We’ll do all the admin for you, making your move as easy and stress-free as possible.

Couple switching suppliers when moving

What is a deemed contract?

When you move into a new property, the gas and electricity should already be connected and switched on. The fuels will be provided by the supplier that the previous occupier had signed up to.

When you take the property on, you’ll also take on a ‘deemed contract’ with this supplier. A deemed contract gives you access to gas and electricity while you search for another deal.

Ideally, you should start comparing prices and looking for a new tariff as soon as possible. However, you may need to wait to switch until you receive your first bill from the property’s existing supplier to ensure all of your details are in the system. Once you decide on a new tariff, it should take around 21 days to complete the switch.

Who else do I need to notify?

Once you’ve told your energy supplier you’re moving, there are a few other organisations you need to notify. These include:

    • The bank
    • The DVLA
    • Your employer
    • Your broadband supplier
    • Your doctor
    • Your dentist
    • The council
    • HMRC if you own a company or are self-employed

Find out more about comparing gas and electricity suppliers, and finding cheap energy deals, by exploring our site or getting in touch with a member of our team today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *