Step by Step Guide: National Gas Grid Connection

Free Service

Although some homes are powered by electricity alone, many of us rely on gas to cook our meals, keep our homes warm and ensure that we have plenty of hot water for cleaning and bathing. If you’ve always used electricity, but want to convert your home to gas, you may wonder if it’s possible to make a brand new national gas grid connection and bring gas into your home. Or perhaps you may want to move your national gas grid connection, or change, location of your gas meter, or simply learn more about the energy market.
Last update: November 2022

As you may have heard on the news, the UK energy market is currently under an immense amount of stress as a result of a global gas shortage driving up costs and putting several energy suppliers out of business. To learn more about this and stay updated on a daily basis you can read our page on the UK energy crisis.

Your energy supplier will be able to supply gas to your home, but they won’t be able to set up or change a connection to the national gas grid.

Leave your phone number to request a call back from us![/cta-fullwidth-single]


How much does it cost to get a gas supply?

Costs can vary depending on your area’s gas transporter, your location, how much digging needs to be done, and how much of the work will need to take place on private land. However, costs usually vary between £300 and £600 for a new connection. This may be cheaper if you use an independent contractor for some of the work.

What if I want to move my gas meter?

Your gas supplier may be able to move your meter for free under certain circumstances. For instance, if you are on the priority services register and need to move your meter to make it easier to access.

However, if you need to move your gas meter by more than 1-3 metres , you will likely need to go through your gas transporter. The costs to move a meter are similar to the cost of a new connection.

How do I get my gas reconnected?

If you move into a property where the gas supply has been “capped”, this is usually an indication that the previous occupant has had a gas leak or requested for their supply to be disconnected. Who you need to speak to in order to get reconnected will depend on where the cap is.

  1. If the meter is capped before the meter (such as the incoming gas pipe or emergency control valve) you’ll need to call your local gas transporter to find out why this has been done.
  2. If the cap is after the meter and on the internal pipework, you’ll need to contact a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area to take the cap off.
  3. If the cap appears to be on the inlet pipe or the gas meter itself, contact your energy supplier.

What should I do if my gas connection is refused and contractors have already organised the connection?

There are some circumstances where your gas transporter may refuse to make a new connection, because it is unsafe to do so. However, if you have already organised a contractor to carry out the contestable work, this can be very frustrating. It may be worth getting a quote from the same contractor to carry out whatever repairs are necessary to ensure a safe connection. If they are able to do this, it may be cheaper than if the same work were to be carried out by your gas transporter.

Updated on 11 Nov, 2022

redaction Meet the content team


Website manager



Energy Specialist & Copywriter